Destination Marketing Fund Grant

The Destination Marketing Levy Funds are for events that generate hotel room night stays in the City of Prince Albert. The City of Prince Albert is committed to investing proceeds from the levy into growing existing events, attracting new events to Prince Albert and supporting repairs or upgrades of a capital nature that are required to host a specific event in Prince Albert.

Applicants are to select the funding category from the following four (4) categories:

New Event
This category is typically suitable for applicants looking to bring an existing event to Prince Albert that has not been held in the City for at least three consecutive years or create a brand new event to be held in Prince Albert. 

Event Retention
This category is typically suitable for an event that has a history of being hosted in Prince Albert but is in jeopardy of no longer being hosted in Prince Albert or being shortened as a result of a variety of reasons, including but not limited to finances or a competitive bid from another community. 

Growing an Existing Event
 This category is typically suitable for an event that has a history of being hosted in Prince Albert but is looking to expand the event in order to attract a new market segment to the event which will result in increased room nights.

Capital Enhancements
This category is typically suitable for repairs or upgrades of a capital nature that are required in order to host a specific event that generates overnight stays. Capital funding will not be approved for the purposes of regular maintenance. The capital enhancement(s) will be a legacy to the City as a permanent structure or fixture to remain for future users.

New Event Eligibility & Guidelines

New Event Grant Application

This category is typically suitable for applicants looking to bring an existing event to Prince Albert that has not been held in the City for at least three (3) consecutive years or create a brand new event to be held in Prince Albert.
To be eligible for the Destination Marketing Fund Grant, an event must generate overnight stays in Prince Albert.

In addition to the general guidelines, the following apply to New Event funding applications. 

  • To be eligible for Destination Marketing Fund Grant under the category “New Event”, the event for which funding is being sought must have never been hosted in Prince Albert or be an event that has been held in Prince Albert in the past but has not been held in the City for at least three (3) consecutive years.
  • Events that have never been held in Prince Albert and generate overnight stays (limited to hotel/motel rooms, B&B rooms) may receive funding, with the approved funding paid out in two increments, forty (40%) percent after the Funding Agreement is signed and the remaining sixty (60%) percent after the Final Report has been received and projected room nights verified by the Destination Marketing Levy Advisory Committee. 

Please contact destinationlevy@citypa.com or 306-953-4395 if you have any questions regarding this funding criteria. 

 

New Event Evaluation Criteria636383456092898320


Event Retention Eligibility & Guidelines

Event Retention Grant Application

In addition to the general guidelines, the following apply to Event Retention funding applications. 

This category is typically suitable for an event that has a history of being hosted in Prince Albert but is in jeopardy of no longer being hosted in Prince Albert or being shortened as a result of a variety of reasons, including but not limited to finances or a competitive bid from another community.

An organization that receives event retention funding through the Destination Marketing Fund Grant is ineligible to apply for event retention funding again for the same event for a period of three (3) years following the year in which event funding was applicable. For example an organization that receives funding for a 2017 event, would not be eligible to apply under the retention category again until 2021.

Please contact destinationlevy@citypa.com or 306-953-4395 if you have any questions regarding this funding criteria.

Event Retention Criteria


Growing an Existing Event Eligibility & Guidelines

Growing an Existing Event Grant Application

This category is typically suitable for an event that has a history of being hosted in Prince Albert but is looking to expand the event in order to attract a totally new market segment to the event, an audience that otherwise would not have attended the event, which will result in increased room nights.

In addition to the general guidelines, the following apply to Growing an Event funding applications.

To be eligible for funding a new element must be added to an existing event that targets a totally different audience which will result in increased overnight stays (limited to hotel/motel rooms, B&B rooms). Incremental attendance growth resulting without a distinct change to the event offerings / format is ineligible. An example of an eligible event would be a hockey tournament that is held annually that includes competitors aged 14 – 16. A decision is made to expand the tournament to include competitors between the ages of 10-13. As an entire new division has been added, this event would be eligible for consideration under the Growing an Event funding category.

Please contact destinationlevy@citypa.com or 306-953-4395 if you have any questions regarding this funding criteria.

 

Growing an Existing Event Criteria

Capital Enhancements Eligibility & Guidelines

In addition to the general guidelines, the following apply to Capital Enhancement funding applications:


• The request for capital enhancements must be directly related to a need identified in order to successfully host a specified event, and the specified event must generate new “event based overnight stays” (limited to hotel/motel rooms, B&B rooms) or maintain existing overnight stays generated by the specified event.”

• The capital enhancement(s) shall be a legacy to the City as a permanent structure or fixture to remain for future users.

• The applicant must provide written proof that the capital enhancements are part of a bid requirement and/or that with the addition of the capital asset, a specific event will be hosted/retained in Prince Albert.” This written proof should come from an organizing body of the event.

• Only one capital application will be permitted per project (ie. two or more organizations cannot both apply for funding for the same capital project).

• Business plans that accompany a capital funding application must demonstrate sustainability of the capital asset once constructed.

• Return on Investment (ROI) will be part of the evaluation criteria.

• Destination Marketing funding for capital projects is intended to primarily be “top up funding” for eligible capital projects not the primary funding source. There may be situations when the Destination Marketing Fund Grant is the primary funding source.

• For a one (1) year capital funding commitment, forty (40%) percent of the funds will be paid to the applicant at commencement of construction and the remaining sixty (60%) percent once construction of the capital project is complete and the Final Report form is submitted and approved.

• For multiple year capital funding commitments, a payment schedule will be determined at the time of signing the Funding Agreement.

• The event organizer, whether the same or different from the capital funding applicant, may apply for event funding under the appropriate Destination Marketing Fund Grant category.

Eligibility to apply for Capital Enhancement funding from the Destination Marketing Fund Grant:

• The event for which capital funding is required must generate overnight stays (limited to hotel/motel rooms, B&B rooms).

• The capital enhancement(s) shall be a legacy to the City as a permanent structure or fixture to remain for future users.

• The capital enhancements for which funding is being requested must be necessary to secure or retain an identified event and are not intended to fund what would be considered normal / regular capital maintenance.

• The capital enhancements and the event for which capital enhancements are being completed must occur in Prince Albert.

• The applicant shall have no outstanding taxes, utility charges or other amounts owing to the municipal government and all properties owned by the Organization must be free of any City of Prince Albert Building and Safety Maintenance Orders.

Not eligible for Destination Marketing Fund Capital Funding grants:


• Retroactive applications will not be considered. Capital applications must be received, reviewed and a decision made by City Council before construction commences and before the event is hosted.


Please contact destinationlevy@citypa.com or 306-953-4395 if you have any questions regarding this funding criteria.


Capital Enhancements Criteria