Prince Albert Heritage Museum

Click on photo to enlarge.10 River Street East

The Prince Albert Central Fire Hall was built in 1911 and served the city for 65 years.  Eventually, age and the location of this building made the construction of a new fire hall necessary.  At the request of Mayor Mac Pereverzoff and members of COuncil, the Prince Albert Historical Society renovated the Cetnral Fire Hall with funding from various agencies and established a museum and archives for the citizens of Prince Albert.  The museum and archives opened to the public in the spring in 1977.

The following renovations were made:

  • The wrought iron railing from the 1910 police station was salvaged and installed on the perimeter of the deck on the second floor
  • The hose tower was converted into the main stairwell, and the upper portions still display fire hoses drying from their last use on a fire.
  • To preserve the original structure, the Bob Serjeant meeting room, a "room within a room," was constructed in the southeast area of the main floor, providing a combination meeting room space and display area that does not alter the original facade.

From 1982 to 1983, the Connaught Room was added to the northeast corner, with the outer walls being constructed using local clay bricks salvaged from the then recently demolished Connaught School.  Incorporated into the very structure of this room is the facade of the Union Bank, bricks from local brick plants, two very old flour mill grinding stones and the floor from the West End Community Hall which was salvaged and installed by Society volunteers.

This property has been designated as a property of architectural, historical or natural value under the City of Prince Albert Bylaw No. 57 of 1981 - Designation of Heritage Property - Heritage Museum and Arts Centre


Community Services Department
City of Prince Albert
1084 Central Avenue
Prince Albert, SK
S6V 7P3

Phone:  306.953.4800
Fax:  306.953.4915