314- 14th Street West, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
Description of Historic Place
The McDonald Residence is a Municipal Heritage Property prominently located on four lots in a mature residential neighbourhood near downtown Prince Albert. Constructed in 1905, the property features a 2½-storey, wood-frame residence clad in brick.
The heritage value of the McDonald Residence resides in its association with the McDonald family. The residence was constructed in 1905 for Andrew and Isabella McDonald who had come to Prince Albert in 1895 to operate a general store. Andrew McDonald also served as an Alderman and vice-president of the Board of Trade for the City of Prince Albert. The McDonald family lived in the residence until 1927, when they sold it to a religious order.
The heritage value of the McDonald Residence is further enhanced by its association with the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary religious order. From 1927 to 1950, the building was occupied by the administrative offices of this religious order and provided a residence for the Sisters. In 1950, the Sisters of the Presentation of Mary sold the land and building and, since that time, the McDonald Residence has been used as a private residence.
The heritage value of the McDonald Residence also lies in its prominent architecture. Located on a city block featuring other prominent residences, this property is a reminder of the affluent nature of this area in the early development of Prince Albert. The asymmetrical façade, multiple roof lines with extended eaves, bay window, and front veranda speak to the prominent nature of the residence.
This property has been designated as being of architectural, historical or natural value under the City of Prince Albert Bylaw No. 10 of 1998 - Designation of Heritage Property - McDonald Residence.
The heritage value of the McDonald Residence is expressed in the following character-defining elements: