1235 Central Avenue
Category: Adaptive Re-use
Awarded to: Alex Bocian
Established in 1952, the Kresge Building immediately became a prominent fixture in the City of Prince Albert's downtown streetscape. The building signified the beginning of a new design era and brought modernist architecture to the City.
The owner of the building, as of 2009, envisioned a fine dining restaurant in this former grocer's location and successfully transformed the space into a luxurious fine dining atmosphere. Though much of the original building has been removed to meet the needs of various businesses, the original hardwood flooring and metallic ceiling tiles still remain. These character defining elements have been utilized and refinished to accent the new use. The exterior of the building has remained unmistakably the same since its construction.
Even though the owner never sought to restore this building to its original state, he made creative use of the structure and many of the original architectural features.