439 13th Street East
Category: Adaptive Re-Use
Awarded to: Doug Hesje
The first record that appears in the Henderson's Prince Albert Directory of the structure that is now home to a local business, Hesje Cabinets, is from around 1956. However, some records indicate that it was likely originally constructed earlier, perhaps sometime in the 1940s. The building's initial use was for Palm Dairies, a major multi-branched milk operation that processed and distributed fresh and frozen dairy products.
The Henderson's Prince Albert Directory shows that the building became vacant around 1990. In 1998, the building was purchased by Doug Hesje, who saw potential for the building to be restored.
The basic structure and shape of the building remains intact, with the exception of the front high porch where a new roof was installed. An addition in the back was also constructed in 2005 to accomodate the Hesje Cabinets business.
The restoration of this piece of property has allowed for the preservation of a building that has become a piece of Prince Albert's heritage and has contributed to positive renewal in the neighbourhood. Revitalization is the key to urban renewal, making preservation of this nature worthy of recognition.