Cooke Municipal's history can be traced back to 1909 when a few "old country men" (one being J.H. Lindsay), who played the game at home, gathered to form a club and lay out a small nine-hole course on land south-east of the City which then belonged to the Hudson's Bay Company.
They then formed the Prince Albert Golf Club and with each following year (except for the years 1916 to 1919) the game became more and more popular. In 1924, after settling a three-year land lease dispute, the City of Prince Albert obtained "an informal undertaking" from the government of Saskatchewan for the lease of the property. The city in turn signed a 10-year agreement with the Prince Albert Golf Club provided the land be used for golf purposes only. The Golf Club hired William Kineer, a Golf Professional from Saskatoon, to redesign the existing nine holes and make provisions for an 18-hole expansion in the near future.
1925 marked the beginning of the Cooke tradition. Hubert Cooke probably still holds the record for longevity as a Golf Professional / Superintendent with one Club in Saskatchewan (41 years). Hubert was born in Stroud, England and in 1920 moved to Regina to assist Bill Brinkworth (his brother-in-law) with the operation and construction of the Wascana Golf Club. In 1925, he moved to Prince Albert to begin work on the construction of new greens and fairways on the expanded Kineer Design. Using horse drawn implements, some holes were re-orientated and new holes were constructed. By 1929 the course had taken a shape that most of today's membership can recognize identify with.
In the early thirties, tough economic times impacted on the Golf Club, and the Club was having difficulty meeting the conditions of the agreement they had with the City. On May 13, 1935, a new agreement was drawn up transferring the Golf Course property and operation over to the City. A new 18-hole layout opened to the public in the last week of July.
The founding members along with Hubert and Alice Cooke have left a legacy and a spirit of pride, talent, love and respect that we all can be proud of. Hubert retired in 1965 and passed his spirit and dedication on to his successor, Clayton Robb. Hubert Cooke passed away in March of 1968 and in June of that same year, a delegation from the Men's Club went to City Council to have the name of the golf course changed from the Prince Albert Golf Club to the Cooke Municipal Golf Course. That same year, the Curling Club moved to the golf course property.
One of the significant changes made during Clayton Robb's nine-year tenure, was a move from the old rubber mat tee boxes to grass tee stands.
In 1975, Danny Jutras became Cooke Municipal's Professional / Superintendent. Danny grew up in Prince Albert where he played his junior golf and worked at the golf course as a protege of Hubert and Alice Cooke. It was under their supervision that Danny learned the qualities of trust, pride, love and respect toward the game of golf,Cooke Municipal and its patrons that he exhibits to this day.
Danny is a Master Professional, one of only 14 golf professionals to have earned this title in all of Canada. Danny and his team promote the game of golf through the various user groups, and together they have established one of the best Junior Golf programs in the Province. Besides his Golf Professional status, Danny's Turf Management skills are highly respected throughout western Canada, especially with regard to the management of Annual Blue Grass.
Danny is preparing the Cooke Municipal Golf Course for the future with its capital, environmental and IPM programs and celebrated the club's 100th birthday during 2009.
This property has been designated as being of architectural, historical or natural value under the City of Prince Albert Bylaw No. 14 of 2009 - Designation of Heritage Property - Cooke Municipal Golf Course