STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
Description of Historic Place
94-15th Street East is a Municipal Heritage Property centrally located on three lots on the south edge of downtown in Prince Albert. Constructed in 1929, the property features a two-storey, steel-frame, brick-clad building.
The heritage value of 94-15th Street East resides in its association with the wave of immigrants who entered Saskatchewan in the late 19th and early 20th Century. Constructed by the federal government in 1929, this Immigration Hall provided temporary accommodation for immigrants settling in the area and housed a branch of the Department of Immigration. This Immigration Hall was one of the last buildings of its type built by the Government of Canada and is one of the last immigration halls still standing in western Canada. 94-15th Street East has also been used for various federal government offices and a shelter for homeless men.
The heritage value of 94-15th Street East also resides in its prominent architecture. Designed by the Department of Public Works, under the supervision of the Dominion Architect Thomas Fuller, the building reflects the architectural traditions of the time as evident by the simplified classical design with yellow brick accented with Tyndal stone, muted brick detailing, small cornice, and brick pilasters framing the doorway. Other historic architectural elements include the symmetry of the front façade with centered flag pole, the decorative brick arch-work around the windows on the front façade, and the prominent front entrance pavilion.
This property has been designated as a property of architectural, historical or natural value under the City of Prince Albert Bylaw No. 15 of 2001 - Designation of Heritage Property - 94 - 15th Street East
The heritage value of 94-15th Street East is expressed in the following character-defining elements: