Land Titles Office
350 – 12th Street East, Prince Albert, Saskatchewan
STATEMENT OF SIGNIFICANCE
Description of Historic Place
The Land Titles Office is a Municipal Heritage Property prominently located on four lots in a mature residential neighbourhood in Prince Albert. Constructed during 1891-1892, the property features a 1½-storey, brick building surrounded by a stone fence.
The heritage value of the Titles Office resides in its association with the land settlement rush to Prince Albert and area during the late 19th century and the Dominion Government’s policies in encouraging this settlement. Construction of the building was authorized by the Dominion Department of Public Works, under the supervision of their Chief Architect, Thomas Fuller, assisted by architect H.D. Johnson. Initially built to provide office space for the local registrar of land titles and the Crown Timber Board, the building was also used as an immigration office after its opening in 1892.
The heritage value of the Land Titles Office also resides in its use as a public building. After 1907, the building was used as a post office, an Anglican theology student’s residence, an armory for the 203rd Battalion, an employment agency, the winter office for the Prince Albert National Park employees, and the office for the Federal Department of Agriculture. Since 1988, the building has been used as a private residence.
The heritage value of the Land Titles Office also lies in its prominent architecture. When this building was completed in 1892, it became a local landmark as most of the buildings in Prince Albert were of wood construction. Located on four city blocks amongst residential dwellings, the building is a reminder of the standard of quality brought by the Dominion Government to the settlement of Prince Albert. The hip gable roof, the rounded arch around the front entrance, a symmetrical front façade, dormer windows, and stone trim all speak to the prominent nature of this building at the time of its construction.
This property has been designated as being of architectural, historical or natural value under the City of Prince Albert Bylaw No. 36 of 1986 - Designation of Heritage Property - Land Titles Building
Character – Defining Elements
The heritage value of the Land Titles Office resides in the following character – defining elements:
those elements that speak to the building’s association with the settlement rush to Prince Albert and area during the late 19th century, such as its location on its original site and the stone name plate above the front entrance with engraved lettering;
those elements that reflect the prominent architecture of the building, including the hip gable roof punctuated by a large brick chimney, rounded arch around the front entrance, a symmetrical front façade, dormer windows, stone trim, brick construction, stone fence, and the building’s location on four city lots.