At the City of Prince Albert (The City), we are committed to collecting and using your personal information responsibly.The privacy and security of your personal information is of utmost importance to us.
The City is subject to the provisions of the Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (LAFOIP) which requires that a local government (The City) protect the privacy of an individual's personal information that exist in our records and that we follow rules regarding the collection, retention, use, disclosure and disposal of personal information in its custody or control. The City’s Freedom of Information and Access to Information Policy 81 guides city staff in ensuring compliance with LAFOIP.
The City endeavors to ensure that only required personal information is collected pursuant to LAFOIP. The City’s Policy 81 – Freedom of Information and Access to Information Policy guides City staff with policies and procedures to ensure compliance with LAFOIP and with The CSA’s Model Code of Protection Of Personal Information.
Most of the information accessible on the City’s website doesn’t require you to provide personal information about yourself.You may access it anonymously.The only personally identifying information arising from your use of the City of Prince Albert’s website is what you voluntarily supply.
Why is Personal information collected?
The City collects and retains personal information for a number of reasons:
- To process your requests for services, products or additional information;
- To communicate/contact you regarding services that you have requested;
- To advise you of changes to our services and of service interruptions;
- To meet legal and regulatory requirements;
- To maintain apayment history;
- To collect unpaid accounts;
- To establish, administer and maintain billing, payment and other services related to financial services concerning your business and client relationship with us.
- To register for activities and programs
What personal Information do we collect?
Depending on the purposes(s) for which we need to collect it, we may ask for the following personal information about you including but not limited to:
- basic identification informationsuch as your name, address, telephone numbers, and e-mail address;
- information such as any condition that may affect your ability to participate in recreation activities, etc.; or
- emergency contact information.
Who do we disclose your personal information to?
We do not sell or rent your personal information.Sometimes we must share your personal information with other staff on a “need to know” basis in order to serve your needs.The following are a few situations where we may be obligated to share personal information:
- with companies contracted by The City to process your requests;
- for law enforcement purposes; or
- for acting in an emergency to facilitate contact with your next of kin if you become injured or ill.
Your personal information is not used for any other reason than for which it was originally collected without your express consent or in other words – we contact you and ask.
How do we protect your personal information?
In order to protect your personal information, the City of Prince Albert:
- collects only the personal information needed to provide services for which you registered;
- keeps your personal information only for as long as we need it to provide services;
- safeguards your personal information to the best of our ability;
- responds to any request you may make to access or correct the personal information we hold about you;
- obtain the appropriate consent from you for the collection, use or disclosure of your personal information.
Some other security methods/procedures include:
- the use of passwords for the protection of electronic information;
- firewalls for network security;
- security standards relating to the storage of personal information;
- policies regarding the removal of records from the workplace, security of records in locked cabinets, briefcases, locking records in secure areas, etc.
- disposal of personal information in a confidential manner such as secured shredding ; and
- procedures to address situations such as the loss, theft or inadvertent release of personal information.
Our website uses encryption technology, such as Secure Sockets Layer (“SSL”), to protect your personal information during data transport.SSL encrypts personal and payment information such as your name, address, credit card number and any other personal information that is required to perform your transaction. Note: The City of Prince Albert does not store your credit card numbers, driver’s licenses, social insurance cards, health cards and they are only used for the duration of the related transaction.
Use of “Cookie” Technology
Cookie technology captures summary – not individual – information on visitor use on the website.It is a computer code that tracks “traffic’ so we can determine how effective the website is in meeting informational or service needs.A cookie contains no personally identifying information and the City of Prince Albert acquires no knowledge of an internet visitor’s browsing habits.Apart from providing a performance measure, the data collected by the cookie is otherwise meaningless.
The City of Prince Albert is committed to protecting your personal information.If you have any questions regarding the City of Prince Albert’s Privacy Statement, you can contact the City Clerk/Head of LAFOIP via:
City of Prince Albert
1084 Central Ave.
Prince Albert, SK S6V 7P3
For more information about the Local Authority Freedom of Information and Protection of Privacy Act (LAFOIP) please visit the Saskatchewan Information & Privacy Commission website at www.oipc.sk.ca.