Before you submit your permit sign application, please take note of the following regulations (as outlined in section 32 of the sign Zoning Bylaw:
- Billboards are permitted in the following areas:
- M1 - Heavy Industrial
- M3 - Light Industrial
- Sites listed on Schedule "A" (see Permitted Areas map)
- The maximum size restrictions are:
- Standard billboards: 3 meters high x 6.1 meters wide (10 feet x 20 feet)
- Vertical billboards: 4.88 meters high x 3.66 meters wide (16 feet by 12 feet)
- Minimum setbacks:
- Front yard: 7.5 meters (24 feet)
- Rear yard: 7.5 meters (24 feet)
- Side yard: 1.5 meters (5 feet)
- Maximum total height of the billboard including the pole: 10 meters (32 feet)
- Minimum height: 5 meters (16 feet)
- Minimum radius clearance from the edge of the sign: 3 meters (10 feet)
- The billboard shall be built with a steel frame and held with one single steel post maximum.
- The billboard shall be a minimum of 90 meters (295 feet) from any other billboards except along highways where billboards shall be a minimum of 250 meters (820 feet) from any other billboards.
- An engineered drawing and a foundation drawing of sign must accompany the application.
- Billboards are permitted in most of the M1 – Heavy Industrial and M3 – Light Industrial zones. Specific permitted areas for billboards can be viewed on the Permitted Areas Map (see the link above).
Mini Billboards are permitted in the following:
- Designated City-owned property;
- Sites listed on Schedule "A" (see permitted areas map)
The maximum size restrictions are 4.18 square metres or 45 square feet.
Minimum Setbacks are:
- Front yard: 7.5 metres (24 feet)
- Rear yard: 7.5 metres (24 feet)
- Side yard: 1.5 metres (5 feet)
The maximum height including the pole is 6.1 metres (20 feet)
A minimum of 1.5 metres (5 feet) is required from the underside of the billboard to the ground
Must be built on one single steel post with steel frame.