City Council has the ability to delegate powers and duties to a person or body subject to certain restrictions. The Executive Committee is an example of this. The Mayor and eight City Councillors make up the Executive Committee.
The purpose of the Executive Committee is to provide advice and recommendations to Council; to oversee the implementation of approved policy decisions by civic administration and supervise the City Manager, City Clerk and City Solicitor.
The following powers or duties have been delegated to Executive Committee:
- The formulation and recommendation to Council of policies, plans, and bylaws
- The receipt of all legal advice and report from the City Solicitor
- The consideration and recommendation to Council on all matters referred to by Council or the Mayor
- The approval or denial of all labour matter in regards to grievances submitted by a Union
- The referral of City matters to administration
- The approval or denial of Administration to proceed with negotiations
- The consideration of informational items related to matters of the City
- The approval of contracts or agreements that include a confidentiality clause regarding the disclosure of personnel and legal negotiations
- The overall supervision of the City’s annual and long term audit plans.
All Members of Council
See the list of upcoming meetings of the Executive Committee.
2017 City Council Meeting Schedule(PDF)
2017 Executive Committee Meeting Schedule(PDF)