The Prince Albert Historical Society is launching a fundraising campaign to reconstruct two of Prince Albert’s oldest buildings: The Nisbet Church and Blockhouse. $200,000 is needed to restore the buildings which will be put up closer to their original location on the Riverbank, next to the Historical Museum.
Donations will be accepted online at https://bit.ly/2lPJhnH. All donations over $20 will be issued a tax receipt.
The buildings were disassembled in 2018 with much of the original structures preserved and put into storage. The pieces will be used to reconstruct the buildings. Once complete, the buildings will be operated by the Historical Society with summer programming and displays that reflect their separate functions. The church will be available for small wedding ceremonies.
Brief History of the Buildings:
- Constructed in 1872, by Rev. James Nisbet in the downtown area. It was used as the church for the mission (Prince Albert) until 1881.
- Moved to current location in 1932 to be used as the “Heritage Museum”
- Was used as a museum from 1932 to 1950s and again from the early 1970s to 1977
- Constructed as a stable for Prince Albert’s first lawyer William Maclise in 1881 by Archie Ballantine.
- It was used as a stable until 1885 when it was transformed in a “blockhouse” to protect Prince Albert during the resistance.
- Moved to Kinsmen Park location in 1933.
For media inquiries, please contact:
Fred Payton, Connie Gerwing or John Thompson
Board Members, Prince Albert Historical Society
Phone: (306) 764-2992
Members will be available for interviews, Wednesday, September 18 between 1:00pm and 3:00pm at the Prince Albert Historical Museum