Media Releases and Announcements

Nisbet Church and Blockhouse to be dismantled

By Communications on 6/4/2018

After careful consideration the City of Prince Albert and the Prince Albert Historical Society would like to inform the public that the Nisbet Church and Blockhouse, two of Prince Albert’s historical buildings located in Kinsmen Park, will be dismantled this month. The buildings have been underutilized for the last 40 years.

“The Nisbet Church and Blockhouse are buildings of historical significance to the city and the province. Unfortunately, because they’ve been moved from their original locations near the river and they have deteriorated over the years, they are now a hazard and difficult to restore,” said Connie Gerwing, President of the Historical Society. “The City and the Prince Albert Historical Society together have decided that the best course of action is to take them apart, save as much of the original structures as possible and store them. Our plan is to reconstruct them in some form when a suitable location and funding are available.”

The buildings will come down with the stable parts of the buildings protected and preserved in another location. Every attempt will be made to save the historically relevant parts of the buildings, such as the gun ports in the blockhouse as they tell of the building’s use in 1885. 

Brief History of the Buildings:

Nisbet Church/School

-          Constructed in 1872, by Rev. James Nisbet in the downtown area. It was used as the church for the mission (Prince Albert) until 1881.

-          Moved to current location in 1932 to be used as the “Heritage Museum”

-          Was used as a museum from 1932 to 1950s and again from the early 1970s to 1977


-          Constructed as a stable for Prince Albert’s first lawyer William Maclise in 1881 by Archie Ballantine.

-          It was used as a stable until 1885 when it was transformed in a “blockhouse” to protect Prince Albert during the resistance.

-          Moved to current location in 1933.

Deconstruction of the buildings will be done by Darryl Sande of Pipestone Creek Contracting prior to National Aboriginal Day events on June 21st.


For media inquiries, please contact:

Connie Gerwing
President, Prince Albert Historical Society

Mayor Greg Dionne
(306) 953-4300


Arts and Culture

Corporate Communications
City of Prince Albert
1084 Central Avenue
Prince Albert, SK
S6V 7P3