Bequest the largest contribution in the history of the organization
The Prince Albert Historical Society today accepted $145,000 from the estate of Lenore Andrews, a longtime Prince Albert resident. Mr. Rick Wilson, executor of Ms. Andrews’ estate, was in attendance to formally present the amount to the Historical Society.
“I know that both Dr. Andrews and Lenore would be thrilled to know that their bequest is going to the Prince Albert Historical Society and will be put to good use,” said Mr. Wilson. “They were both very proud “Prince Albertans” who recognized the importance of and the need to celebrate the city’s history.”
Although the bequest was made upon Ms. Andrews’ death in 1997, the funds were held in trust by the City of Prince Albert until a number of items were completed. Those terms are now fulfilled and include:
- a room and display at the Prince Albert Historical Museum dedicated to Dr. H. A. Lestock Reid;
- an online virtual museum which displays hundreds of digital images of the Museum’s collection named in honor of Lenore and her first Husband Dr. C. H. Andrews; and
- a section of the Historical Society website that displays the biography of both Lenore and her husband Dr. Herb Andrews.
“This is an exciting day for the Historical Society,” said Connie Gerwing, President of the Historical Society. “It is the single largest contribution we have ever accepted from an individual. We are grateful for the funds and for the investment made in our local history. The generosity of the contribution will allow us to preserve our history for future generations.”
In addition to covering the cost associated with setting up the Dr. H.A. Lestock Reid Room, the funds will be used to redesign the front entryway of the museum to make it more accessible, open and welcoming to visitors. The museum also leveraged the bequest funds to apply for a Canadian Heritage Museum Assistance grant. The Historical Society received an additional $25,000 through this program which will be used to improve accessibility of the collection including a new storage system and new computers and software.
Lenore was the daughter of American immigrants Magnus Ramsland and Sarah McEwen, who came to Saskatchewan in 1903. Lenore was president of the Prince Albert Women’s Liberal Association, and later the Saskatchewan Women’s Liberal Association. In the 1965 Federal election she ran as the Liberal candidate for Prince Albert, but did not win. She ran against John G. Diefenbaker, Peter Kachur and John Daschuk.
Dr. Herbert Andrews was the son of Methodist minister and doctor W.W. Andrews and Nellie Greenwoode. They moved the family to Regina circa 1911 where Herbert's father was the first principal of Regina College, now the University of Regina. Dr. Andrews practiced in Prince Albert until his retirement in 1978 at the age of 82.
Dr. H.A. Lestock Reid grew up in Prince Albert, moving to Toronto to attend Trinity Medical College. Completing his studies in 1891, Dr. Reid came back to Prince Albert and practiced for 56 years; he was a general practitioner, surgeon, health officer, acting surgeon for the RNWMP and RCMP, as well as a founding member of the Victoria Hospital. He and his wife retired to Toronto in 1947. Dr. C. H. and Lenore Andrews, purchased 157 19th Street West from Dr. Reid. The house was one of the oldest in Saskatchewan dating back to 1878.
For more media inquiries please contact:
Phone: (306) 764-2992